Thursday, February 28, 2013

What do you do to build relationships?

         
Is this what you look like as a teacher?
          I am by no means an expert or a veteran teacher, this is my first year, but I think I am pretty good at building relationships with my students.Could I be better? Yes, of course! My goal from day one was to make sure that my students felt comfortable, safe, and trusted in my classroom. However, it's hard to be young, build that rapport, and not cross that line of "the fun and hip teacher". I am doing my best to not be that person. Here are some things I do that I think make a difference.

1. Every morning I shake hands with every kid. I always tell them "shake hands like you are trying to get a job". Not only is this an important skill for them to have in their futures, but it makes them feel "grown up" because that's what "grown ups" do.

       I know that several of you are thinking eww gross to that ^, but let me tell you, it is the most important part of the day. My kids have told me that if I don't shake their hand, their day doesn't go as well. Did you know that you can easily triage your kids during this time. This is how I find out how they are doing, if they are in a bad mood or a good mood, and several times I have been able to help correct those feelings so they can have a successful day.

2. Treat your students like they are people because guess what? They are! Do not treat them like they are children and expect them to act older. I talk to my kids like we are equals and that is why they respect me.

3. Do not start the school year with pre-judgement. This is a hard one for a lot of teachers because they've either heard bad things from their colleagues about particular students or they have seen the student act in the previous grade. I started the year with several students who were on the "warning" list and they are doing great! I tried my hardest to make sure that whatever they did in the past stayed in the past.

4. Relate to them and share your life with them. On Mondays, I give my students time to share what happened over the weekend. I also take this time to share how my weekend went. I share the good and the bad. I show them that I am human and live normal a normal life just like each of them.

5. Be honest with them. Tell your kids the truth. There have been a few days where I have said "hey guys, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning". This usually causes them to tread lighter and not have silly behaviors (this won't work everyday!). The kids like honesty and it's good for them to see that you aren't always in that perky, perfect mood! Along with honesty, show them your emotions. I have cried with my kids over books and students moving and I have also laughed until my belly hurts with them. They appreciate seeing you be YOU!

      Teaching is a tough job and sometimes you have those days where you think "what did I get myself into", but let me tell you, it's all about those little moments! It's the light bulb moments and the times they make your heart melt.

      Want to know what my kids did for me for Valentine's Day? One of my kids somehow rounded up the whole class (while I stepped into the hallway for 2 minutes) and signed this GIANT card for me. They all got together and presented it as a class. 30 students! Can you believe it? I almost melted! They got me flowers, chocolates, and presents! It's those days, that we teachers live for.

      Again, I am no expert and have tons of room to grow. These are just a few things that I do that I think make a difference! Try them out, let me know if they work for you! Just be YOU! :)

Thanks for reading!



2 comments:

  1. I wish we had a teacher like you when we were in school !
    Ray C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think it is important that students trust you. I have found it makes our days go much easier and the learning takes place more often! :)

    ReplyDelete